Tuesday, July 31, 2018

When I Wake


A new day begins before I'm awake
The sunrise yields a sky full of color
While on my pillow I forsake
Busy-ness for a restful slumber
Beyond the mortal gates of time
Into a calming space
Where there's no mortal by design
Disturbing my wishful place
My body relaxes my breathing soothes
The intricate places within
My eyes lids close, now rest my soul
Releasing all of my moods
Which gather frequent through the day
Upon the thoughts I think
Sleeping sends them all away
For tomorrow not to sync
To allow a beginning thought
To find it's way ahead
Visions of a day where taught
Think better than what's preset
For you to gather once again
A string of worded times
And sit to think how life's been
For you through all your designs
Leave the past where it belongs
Look forward to the journey
To fill with visions and with song
The day which is opening to me
God rest my soul this sacred place
Where all I love can gather
And still itself upon time's race
To sort what truly matters
In an aging body that's lived
To love their life each day
Bring to me the silent gifts
Which can't be lost or displayed
By another who knows me not
And seeks their own ways
To shape my words, my inner thoughts
For their own frames of escape
Sleep, my love, myself and I
Rest next to me in silence
Cast away the nonsense plied
And lend not yourself to compliance
Of the thieves camped round about
Hoping to steal the relevance
That resting softly, quietly, touts
To all who appreciate benevolence
Confine my dreams not to the real
Allow the whimsical please
Where gathered places, events and skill
Conjoin with mutual ease
Lend not my dreams to ghastly minds
Who appreciate nothing more
Than to cast their own refuse
Upon the dreams that soar
Through the skies of space and places
Where every joyful theme
Finds a laughter, smile to base
The improvement of the scheme
Of inspiration and occurrence
Leading hand in hand
Over comes the wastefulness
Opposition to living plans
Sleep soundly through your given rest
Place no limit on yourself
To find discomfort as a guest
Of an experience you once felt
Cuddle closely to your pillow
Feel the softness of your sheets
Wrap yourself in fragrant billows
Count your heart's gentle beats
Move yourself into position
Where the closeness you feel is true
Remove yourself from conditions
That defies the best of you
Alleviate the needless movements
Send prayerful wishes to the day
Where once your resting is finished
Can be found when I awake

Jade Jaspers (c)